Zentangled Mandala car

This project all started when I saw the image of the zentangled Nissan GTR. It was beautiful! My first experience doodling on my hood started in 2015. I used I don’t know how many sharpies but it took me about 4 hours to finish. I loved driving that car around, I loved being able to show off my work, and I loved the attention I got. Two years later December 2017 it was fading to the point where I was embarrassed to drive it around. It had no clear coat on it, so It’s survived many car washes until one day a car wash finally ruined it. It was easy to remove with fingernail polish. Driving my car around with nothing on it made me feel unimportant and invisible. So, I decided to do it all over again. About 5 hours of work in 4-degree weather she was back!

I love going to car shows with my dad. I am a Ford gal, a mustang girl. I’ve been going to shows with my dad for almost 10 years.  I’ve always been his wheel cleaner. Since day one I knew I was going to do my entire car. With the first show and shine coming up in a few weeks I knew I wanted to finish my car. Once I was committed I knew I had to complete it. I got tired of looking at it with scratches everywhere. I took six days to myself, went to a place that feels like home, our farm. I worked about 8 hours a day for three days. Getting a little homesick I knew I had to work longer days. I worked more than 12 hours in my final 2 days alone (I took a day to relax).  I am the kind of person who doesn’t like telling people what I am doing before I do things. Neither one of my parents knew I did my hood or was going to finish it, I was going to make it a surprise, but walking around in the cabin I heard someone outside, It was my dad. He told me you know your mom’s not going to be happy. I kept thinking “great you ruined the surprise.” About 50 hours later I decided (even though I had about 6 hours of work left) I finally wanted to go home that night, trying to figure out what am I going to say. As soon as I got home I put everything away and told my mom come here. Took her out in the garage and she walked straight back into the house.

With the worst part behind me (showing it to my parents) I decided to fix and finish my car. May 4th Show day, I woke up about 4:30am because I was so excited to show it off. 7 hours of sitting and talking to people I had the best day of my life. I swear my car was the most photographed car (at least where I was at. There were nearly 1000 cars that attended). I am excited and hopeful that I can someday take my car coast to coast. I am still trying to decide if it needs some color. I had about 20 people tell me I want to color your car. I had an idea that morning to take it to a local Children’s hospital and have all the kids come out and color. And believe it or not someone else had the same Idea. If I ever get the recognition and the chance to do this I will donate the car to be auctioned off for Cancer research.